NGINX Plus can be used to load balance many enterprise applications and one great example is Oracle E‑Business Suite. With NGINX Plus you can handle a larger volume of users while providing an overall faster and more consistent user experience for your Oracle applications.
To help customers get the most out of their Oracle deployments, NGINX, Inc. has published a new deployment guide, Load Balancing Oracle E‑Business Suite with NGINX Plus. This guide details how NGINX Plus can be utilized as a load balancer and application delivery controller for Oracle E‑Business Suite applications.
Why NGINX Plus?
Oracle applications typically utilize Apache web servers for application delivery. Apache uses a thread‑per‑connection architecture where a thread is dedicated to a connection until completion of all related processing. Under low or medium load Apache performs well; however, under heavy load the problems with this architecture begin to surface. For example, if there is a large number of concurrent connections, the thread pool can get exhausted, delaying new connections indefinitely.
NGINX Plus uses asynchronous operations to achieve high concurrency without the overhead of threads. This architecture enables NGINX to scale and handle a large number of simultaneous connections using a very small memory footprint. In addition to performance and scale, NGINX Plus provides a number of benefits for Oracle applications:
- Event‑driven architecture – NGINX Plus is much more scalable, and resilient to traffic spikes and DOS attacks.
- SPDY and HTTP/2 support – NGINX Plus supports the SPDY and HTTP/2 protocols. SPDY and HTTP/2 offer improved performance over HTTP/1.1.
- Load balancing – NGINX Plus offers a variety of load balancing algorithms allowing you to scale out your Oracle applications as well as maintain high availability.
- Session persistence – NGINX Plus ensures that a user’s requests are forwarded to the same web server every time. NGINX Plus utilizes cookie and IP address‑based persistence methods.
- SSL termination – NGINX Plus can terminate SSL connections to offload that work from the Oracle servers.
- Caching – NGINX Plus provides a highly capable cache for both static and dynamic content, greatly improving application performance.
- Proactive application health checks – NGINX Plus proactively monitors Oracle servers and removes unhealthy servers from the pool.
- Live activity monitoring – NGINX Plus has a real‑time activity monitoring interface that provides key load and performance metrics.
How Do I Get Started?
To get started using NGINX Plus with Oracle EBS, check out the new deployment guide from NGINX. It provides step-by-step instructions for configuring NGINX Plus to appropriately load balance and scale your Oracle application. Configuration files for NGINX Plus are also available so you don’t have to cut and paste from the deployment guide.
Download configuration file for a single Web Entry Point (for experienced NGINX Plus users)
Download configuration file for multiple Web Entry Points (for experienced NGINX Plus users)